Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Agent Scott Boras calls out 'coup' within union as MLB Players' Association divide grows -VisionFunds
Rekubit-Agent Scott Boras calls out 'coup' within union as MLB Players' Association divide grows
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:26:38
The RekubitMLB Players’ Association became the most powerful and effective sports union through decades of unity and, largely, keeping any internal squabbles out of public view.
Yet during the typically placid midterm of its current collective bargaining agreement with Major League Baseball, an ugly power struggle has surfaced.
A faction of ballplayers has rallied behind former minor-league advocate and MLBPA official Harry Marino, aiming to elevate him into a position of power at the expense of chief negotiator Bruce Meyer, a maneuver top agent Scott Boras called “a coup d’etat,” according to published reports in The Athletic.
It reported that the union held a video call Monday night with executive director Tony Clark, Meyer and members of the MLBPA’s executive council, during which Meyer claimed Marino was coming for his job.
That spilled into a war of words Tuesday, in which Boras accused Marino of underhanded tactics that undermined the union’s solidarity. Marino worked with the union on including minor-league players in the CBA for the first time, which grew the MLBPA executive board to a 72-member group.
HOT STOVE UPDATES: MLB free agency: Ranking and tracking the top players available.
“If you have issues with the union and you want to be involved with the union, you take your ideas to them. You do not take them publicly, you do not create this coup d’etat and create really a disruption inside the union,” Boras told The Athletic. “If your goal is to help players, it should never be done this way.”
Many current major leaguers were just starting their careers when Marino emerged as a key advocate for minor-leaguers. Meanwhile, the MLBPA took several hits in its previous two CBA negotiations with MLB, resulting in free-agent freezeouts in 2017 and 2018. In response, Clark hired Meyer, who seemed to hold the line and perhaps claw back some gains in withstanding a 99-day lockout imposed by the league.
Now, something of a proxy war has emerged, with Meyer and Boras clinging to the union’s longstanding notion that the top of the market floats all boats. Boras has had a challenging winter, struggling to find long-term riches for his top clients – pitchers Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery and sluggers Cody Bellinger and Matt Chapman.
While all four have their flaws – and the overall free agent class beyond Shohei Ohtani was the weakest in several years – Boras’s standard strategy of waiting until a top suitor emerges did not pay off this winter.
Snell only Monday agreed to a $62 million guarantee with the San Francisco Giants, who earlier this month scooped up Chapman for a guaranteed $54 million. Snell, Bellinger and Chapman all fell short of the nine-figure – or larger – payday many believed would be theirs, though they may opt out of their current deals after every season; Montgomery remains unsigned.
Marino seemed to sense a crack in the empire in a statement to The Athletic.
“The players who sought me out want a union that represents the will of the majority,” he said Tuesday. “Scott Boras is rich because he makes — or used to make — the richest players in the game richer. That he is running to the defense of Tony Clark and Bruce Meyer is genuinely alarming.”
The Clark-Meyer regime did make gains for younger players in the last CBA, raising the minimum salary to $780,000 by 2026 and creating an annual bonus pool for the highest-achieving pre-arbitration players.
Yet baseball’s middle class only continues to shrivel, a trend many of its fans will recognize. Whether Marino would be more effective than current union leadership at compelling teams to pay aging, mid-range players rather than offer similar, below-market contracts is unknown.
What’s clear is that a fight is brewing, one the union needs to settle well before the next round of CBA negotiations in 2026.
veryGood! (48868)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Former Georgia gym owner indicted for sexual exploitation of children
- 'Deadpool & Wolverine' is a blast, but it doesn't mean the MCU is back
- Paris Olympics: Simone Biles, Team USA gymnastics draw record numbers for NBC
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- A sign spooky season is here: Spirit Halloween stores begin opening
- Did Katie Ledecky win? How she, Team USA finished in 4x200 free relay
- Chris Evans Reveals If His Dog Dodger Played a Role in His Wedding to Alba Baptista
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Kendall Jenner and Ex Devin Booker Spotted in Each Other’s Videos From 2024 Olympics Gymnastics Final
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Cardi B Reveals She's Pregnant With Baby No. 3 Amid Divorce From Offset
- Teen Mom’s Maci Bookout Supports Ex Ryan Edwards’ Girlfriend Amid Sobriety Journey
- 2 New York City police officers shot while responding to robbery, both expected to survive
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Proposed rule would ban airlines from charging parents to sit with their children
- These 13 states don't tax retirement income
- AI might take your next Taco Bell drive-thru order as artificial intelligence expands
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
'Power Rangers' actor Hector David Jr. accused of assaulting elderly man in Idaho
Andy Murray's tennis career comes to end with Olympics doubles defeat
Save 50% on Miranda Kerr's Kora Organics, 70% on Banana Republic, 50% on Le Creuset & Today's Top Deals
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Cardi B Is Pregnant and Divorcing Offset: A Timeline of Their On-Again, Off-Again Relationship
Illinois sheriff whose deputy shot Sonya Massey says it will take rest of his career to regain trust
Intel to lay off more than 15% of its workforce as it cuts costs to try to turn its business around